Monday, May 11, 2009

May 11, 2009

Here we are...nearing the end of the school year! It's really quite amazing! I was just commenting to my parents that this time last year I was finishing up my last week of furlough before returning to the field...a lot has certainly happened in a year!

There are only two weeks of school left for us here at the Learning Center. This is the last full week of classes and then next week we will be busy with final exams, closing programs, and graduation! Due to the fact that my classroom is so small...I won't have a lot to do to pack up my room for the vacation...however, I do hope to sit down with Nikki Elliott (my co-worker in the resource department) and do a bit of planning/organizing the program for next year.


I have mentioned several times that you could be praying for the youth group at my church...our division of classes for guys and girls so that we could talk about a few topics which are more gender specific. After three weeks of being separated for classes...we came together last Saturday for our first "social"! Everyone got all dolled up...we decorated the church ( I even bought some real flowers for the occasion), played games, sang songs, had a short devotional together, shared refreshments, etc. It was LOTS of fun! The best part for me was that many of the girls came...even one of the girls who isn't a member of our church but has been coming with her friend! Another one of the girls also brought her boyfriend whose relationship/devotion to the Lord is questionable. She talked with me about him a week or so ago and we were praying that he would come on Saturday night...as he has tried several times to discourage her from going. Praise the Lord for the work He is doing in this young man's life!


One of the things that has been encouraging for me recently concerning the group of girls from church, is that they have begun to open up and share more openly with me about the things on their hearts and minds. Even some of their parents have begun to talk to me about concerns they have for their girls. What a blessing! Not to mention a couple of the girls have begun to bring their boyfriends (some of whom aren't Christians) around a bit, such as the girl who invited her boyfriend to come on Saturday night and then another brought her boyfriend with her on Sunday morning. I feel that God is really beginning to work in their lives, guiding them and teaching them to put into practice the things that we are studying!

I'm feeling very encouraged by the many ways God is using me both at school and through this ministry with the girls! May God continue to grant me the wisdom to guide them in a way that is pleasing to Him, and to advise them using His Biblical truths. Thank you so much for your continued prayers for me as well as for these young women. Thank you too for praying for the end of our school year...as the students/teachers need the strength to finish well!

No comments: