Monday, May 18, 2009

Last Week of School!!!

Hip, hip, hooray...hip, hip, hooray...hip, hip, hooray!!!! Sometimes I think the teachers are more excited by the end of the school year than the students are...which is hard to imagine, I know!!! Tomorrow will be the last full day of classes, the elementary students will finish the year with a closing program on Wednesday, the jr high/high school students will have exams through the end of the week and then will finish with their closing program on Friday afternoon! Saturday night is graduation!!!! In the past the school has typically had graduation on Friday night...so I'm a little disappointed that they decided to move it to Saturday night this year...since it means I have a conflict with my girls from the youth group. Fortunately the girls are flexible and if I offer lunch at my house on Sunday...instead of a meeting on Saturday night...they're usually willing to oblige! I appreciate their flexibility!

I continue to LOVE working with the girls from church. Over the weekend I had company as two of the girls spent the night on Friday night and then another girl spent the night on Saturday night. I'll admit after long days...and then staying up until late watching movies and hanging out with them...I'm paying for it today! However, I loved having the here! I also love that they continue to open up more and more, allowing me to share in their lives! It's been GREAT!

On Saturday, I agreed to help out at a mission's conference at another church (where several other SAM missionaries attend). They needed someone to dress up as if from India and share with the children. Due to typical Bolivian schedule...I think the program started about an hour and a half later than they said it would...so I spent a lot of time sitting and waiting...but all in all, it was lots of fun! Hopefully, the children learned something about serving the Lord in another country as well as a bit about the country of India! Afterwards, the mission's committee took the two guest speakers out for lunch...paid in pizza, it was WONDERFUL! There are a couple of pictures posted below for you to see...



As for this week...I will be finishing up the school year and try to get my room packed up a bit so that I won't have to go in very often next week! Tonight we also start the new trimester in CIET...I have been on vacation for the last couple of weeks, but now it's time to get started with a new group of students. I believe there are a couple interested in English 2 this trimester as well...so I should have two classes on Monday nights. Also, one of my Bolivian friends, Sandra Jaldin, who works with SAM's Ayore ministry (a ministry designed to meet the medical as well as the Spiritual needs of an Indigenous group of people, the Ayore) is having an overnight "camp" or Spiritual retreat for 12 Ayore kids at the home of Bill and Bev Smith (other SAM missionaries) and has asked me to help her with that. I will be helping with the crafts as well as other aspects of the retreat...the themes are: God as creator, God's holiness, God's omnipresence, and God's love. We would appreciate your prayers for this event...I think it starts Friday evening (not sure what time) and goes through most of the day on Saturday (although I will only be able to help until about 2 or 3 as I have a commitment with the children's ministry at my church on that day). Thank you so much for your interest in the ministry here in Santa Cruz and for your continued prayers as well as praises for all that God is currently doing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Laura! How wonderful that you will be able to travel with Toni and Placido and the group down the Beni. I will pray for you that the trip will provide you with many opportunities to share Christ with the children along the way. How great that you now have a vehicle too! That is such a blessing. We are on furlough in the US and enjoying the sights in DC these days! With love, The Snyders