Monday, January 4, 2010

January 4, 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Well, I must admit it seems a bit strange to have written January 4, 2010 as the title of this blog entry! The new year has definitely begun...and for me, is off to a running start!

I apologize for not writing an update before now...too much of the good life at home with my family! I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them and in general, just enjoyed being home. As usual, saying good-bye was difficult. I returned to Bolivia on Saturday (January 2nd). In the Miami airport (where I met up with a few other SAM missionaries for the flight to Bolivia)...one of my friends commented that a missionary's life is one of good-byes...and sadly that is the case. It seems like there are always good-byes to be said, some of them harder than others...either I'm saying good-bye to those I love here in order to go to the states, or I'm saying good-bye to those I love in the states to come to Bolivia, or often there are even friends on the field to whom I'm saying good-bye as they return to the states. So, it does tend to feel like a life of good-byes. For many missionaries, that prompts them to become more closed when meeting new people...with those missionaries, it's hard to break into their inner shell and figure out what it is that really makes them tick. I also see this with a lot of students at my school...their way of coping with the constant good-byes is by placing walls and distance in their lives. I've never been very good at this. Occasionally I try...but don't usually succeed. However, I'm not sure that I really want to either. I'm not convinced that's always the answer to recovering from the hurt of being apart. It was hard for me to return...because I miss my family. Yet, I know that God still has many plans for me here in Santa Cruz...He's not finished with the work to which He has called me...not at this point! So...I'm back...and...happy to be back...there was a lot to come back to! My friends the HAuses are back on the field!!! I'm so excited to be serving with them again! Chelsea is back from the states as well! There is a new family too, that has been here for about 3 months...they are a GREAT family...a wonderful addition to our field...and the mother of the family (whose name is Amy) and I have already decided we're going to be best friends!!! Like I said...a LOT to return for! This week...SAM has a conference for all those currently on the Bolivia field. We had a kick-off meeting tonight...and tomorrow morning will be meeting at a local resort (about 30 minutes outside of the city) in order to get away until Friday! I get to sing on the worship team which we formed especially for this event...and am really enjoying the practices and the chance to worship with these friends. Please pray for our time together...that God would speak to each of our hearts.

So, although it was hard to leave my family behind...I'm glad to be back in Bolivia. I feel a new sense of refreshment and am ready to take off running once again. For that I am extremely thankful! I appreciate so much all of your prayers and well wishes! Thank you too for the gifts and Christmas greetings which many of you sent! I enjoy hearing about all that is happening in the lives of your families. Blessings in the new year!

No comments: