Monday, February 23, 2009

CARNAVAL!

As I write this up-date, I find myself locked in my house, trying to avoid the worldly effects of Carnaval! Typically, for this long weekend, I join my church along with other churches in going to camp or campamento as it is called here. This year, however, I decided not to go. It really wasn't a difficult decision to make initially since my church was planning to travel to a town which is about a 10 hour train ride from Santa Cruz. Due to the fact that I have to be back at school on Wednesday morning and many of them weren't returning until Tuesday night (arriving here Wednesday morning), I decided not to go. Then, they were unable to get train tickets for the whole group so they joined another church in going to a camp only a couple of hours from here. I toyed with the idea of going, but I had so many things that I had hoped to accomplish while here in my house, not to mention that after the busy week I had last week, I just really thought I could use the rest!

Carnaval in Santa Cruz...
The two biggest threats in being out and about during this time of the year are the drunks and the water balloons. I think people being drunk whether they're walking in the street or driving a car, needs no further explanation of the dangers that can occur. However, water balloons/squirt guns may seem to be an odd form of threat. Let me explain that after a couple of days of using water, it appears that people begin to get a bit bored and choose to be somewhat adventurous in the types of amunition that they are using. This means that water balloons begin to be filled with dirty water, car oil, paint, rocks, ice, etc., which obviously begins to pose a much larger threat. Therefore, most people advised that I could go about on Saturday and Sunday as I wished with some caution, but on Monday and Tuesday, I should plan to stay home. I don't need to be warned twice of such matters...so I have a stack of paperwork awaiting me, several books to read, and a pile of movies for when I need a bit of a break!

CIET board meeting...
You may remember that I asked for prayer concerning the CIET board meeting that we had last Tuesday night. Thank you so much for your prayers, I definitely felt them as God granted me the wisdom to understand some changes that the rest of the board wanted to put into place which I knew SAM wouldn't approve of at this time. He then gave me the strength to voice my concern in making that change. He also helped me to realize that in this male dominated culture, it is going to be very difficult if not impossible for two women to voice the concerns of SAM and have their concerns legitimately heard...in addition to the struggles that we have already been having. This primarily will pose a problem when we hold meetings in order to write the bylaws for CIET which have not yet been written. Therefore, I plan to talk to the SAM field leadership and request that they replace my position on the board for a MALE representative of the mission...at least for the meetings designed to write the bylaws. Please continue to pray for wisdom and strength as this is a battle not yet won.

Well, I think that's about it for this week! Not too many exciting things to share. More than anything, I would like to express my gratitude for all of your faithful support and constant prayers! It means so much to me to have your support in this way! Thank you!

No comments: